Saturday, April 14, 2012

White Coral Bells


White Coral Bells
Upon a slender stalk
Lilies of the Valley
Deck my garden walk.

Oh, don't you wish
That you could hear them ring,
That will happen only when
The fairies sing.

One of my fondest memories goes back to when I was maybe 4 or 5 and Katie was 7 or 8. She had just returned from Brownie Camp, and the song she had learned that day was White Coral Bells. For some reason I loved that song. At that time, we still shared a room (Bart hadn't been born), and as we were going to sleep, I asked Katie to sing that song to me. I think I asked her three, four, maybe five times to sing it to me. Needless to say, this might have been the first, but certainly not the last, time she lost patience with me!

Now I have coral bells blooming in my garden, and although they aren't white, every time I walk by them, I hum the tune, fondly remembering Katie singing it to me when we were young.

No comments:

Post a Comment