Monday, April 16, 2012

Kale Chips?


When Diana told me her roommate was making Kale Chips, I took a step back before I said, "What? Kale chips? That sounds terrible." Diana assured me that, to the contrary, they are actually pretty good. So since I had never done anything with kale, I decided to try them.

It isn't as if they are hard to make. Buy kale. Clean kale. Break into bite-sized pieces. Put on parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350. Drizzle a little olive oil over the pieces; shake a little salt over them. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until brown.



So I made some. They looked a little weird, but I tried one. Good. Crunchy. Amazingly light and airy. So I gave one to Don. Same reaction.

I wouldn't want a steady diet of them, but I am finding that they satisfy the urge for something salty and crispy . . . with negligible calories. The one down side is that you need to check your teeth when finished. Little pieces of kale stick around . . . Despite that, I can't help but think they are far more nutritious than potato chips.

1 comment: